I have built a lot of websites for personal use. Sometimes these are great ideas for a startup company, sometimes I just get an idea of a great domain name that is still available and build an idea around that, other times I just get bored and want to start a new project.
The first thing I always do when I have one of these ambitions is to sit down and think about the architecture. I plan out the structure of the website itself, the software that I will use (if using something already built), or get into some real planning and thinking if I find that it cheap jerseys is best that I build my own software for this particular project generic viagra france. One can never plan out exactly how their ideas will evolve or how their customers will use their product, but there is always some standards that should be followed in any given situation.
Recently, I found a backup of a website that I had laid to rest in early 2009. I had copies of all of the files, and a copy of the database. It was all mangled, the encoding was messed up and throwing weird characters everywhere, and I have learned a lot about best practices and standards since the site was originally built in 2008, so a lot of the things I know now and would make sure to include in my planning and An execution of an idea were not done at this time.
I decided that, with a little bit of free time, I would resurrect this ghost of a website. It had received a decent amount of traffic when it was running, and I even made a few bucks wholesale jerseys using Google AdSense. I let it die simply because I didn’t have time to maintain it anymore. So, I looked through the code, looked through the database, and figured I’d give it a shot. I was not optimistic, and was preparing myself for a full weekend of hell with basically rebuilding this thing from scratch, something I didn’t really want to do, but I was prepared to have myself a project.
However, because de I was careful enough to plan ahead at (A least a little bit back in 2008, and follow the standards that I was aware of and generally just wholesale NFL jerseys write good, clean code, I was shocked at how easy it was to get this wholesale jerseys website up and running again. I literally registered the domain name, set up the hosting environment on my server, moved the files, and that was pretty much it. The site was back. The biggest problem I encountered was restoring the database from backup, because I had decided to backup the raw database files (the .MYI, .MYD, .FRM, and ibdata1 files) themselves, instead of doing a SQL export of the data for easy restoration. I didn’t want to risk breaking the database on my live server, so I installed MySQL on my local computer (Windows 7), tossed the database files where they belonged, opened up the database, and magnificently, all the data was there. Mangled, but existent. I then exported the data into SQL inserts/creates, ran through some find/replace kung-fu to get rid of the really bad data, and imported it into my live MySQL environment.
Then I went to the site. I was crossing my fingers but expecting nothing short of an explosion of errors coming onto the screen, or worse yet, just silently dying because it doesn’t even know where to start spitting out errors. There it was. Exactly as I had left it when I gently put it in it’s coffin to live out the rest of its days. As if nothing had changed.
Now for the real work. This particular website was running a heavily modified version of WordPress (never modifying the core files, just plugins and hackery all around). It was running WordPress 2.7. Currently, as of this writing, WordPress is on version 4.4.2. I thought to myself, Oh boy, hang Shady on to your butts, this is gonna get ugly, when I clicked the upgrade button. Chug, chug, crunch, crunch…done. That was it. My website that had been sitting in a dusty coffin for 7 years was back, running the latest, newest version of the software it was built on. I swapped out the theme I had been using for a new one, and instantaneously, it’s like a brand spanking new website. Except the 702 articles that I wrote by hand are still there. Ready to be slurped up by Google, and broadcast to the world.
The biggest challenge I had was trying to find new, better plugins to replace the deprecated/no longer maintained ones that I had been using. This was not a challenge at all, really. Some plugins I was able to just click and update and everything worked fine. Others I had to find an alternative, which is something I probably should have done long before I let the site die off anyway. Click, install, done. The whole experience left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing that the only reason I was able to have this experience, is because the folks at WordPress really know what they’re doing. They’ve built their software so that situations like mine are possible.
Writing code to der be extensible and reusable is probably the most important thing any software developer can get a grasp on. Sure, third-party’s may change their way of doing things which causes your code to break, but when this happens, if you wrote your code beautifully to begin with, it should be a relatively easy fix to account for their changes. This is what I ran into with a plugin I had built for this site to utilize the Google Map API, which has obviously changed a ton over the last 7 years. It took me about an hour to update the plugin to work with the changes Google has made, and for the map plugin to be off and running again. All because WordPress and Google, and myself, took the time to carefully plan our projects, and have the knowledge that things are going to change, and we have to design our software to be willing to change with the times.
wordpress theme by initheme.com